Caring for wisteria can be tricky for this flowering vine that is easy to grow. This virile plant grows in beautiful clusters of plants along the central stem with small flowers in hues of blues, purples and pinks. Raraflora Nurseries has grown and sold wisteria online for many years and is a trusted source for wisteria for Australian retailers. As growers, we can provide you with valuable advice on how to care for the wisteria you buy in Brisbane. We’ve prepared the following tips and tricks to get the most out of the premium varieties we offer here on our easy to use website.
The number one tip for care when you buy wisterias in Brisbane is to remember that they love the sun. Wisterias enjoy full sunlight of at least 6-8 hours a day. They also like moist soil that is slightly acidic. You can train a wisteria to grow up a trellis or pergola; you can train them as a tree or have them grow along the side of your home. We recommend you acquire a good pair of pruning shears for their hearty thick branches and vine leaves. Other tips include:
- Have a plan for where to plant the vines, so it can be trained and guided to grow in the areas you select
- Wisteria can thrive in many types of soil
- Prune heavily to maintain control and to encourage flowering twice per year
- Lack of pruning is the primary reason for vines not to flower in subsequent years
- Cut back tendrils and keep growth in control by removing leaves
- Avoid pruning in the brown woody areas
- Don’t plant against walls unless you’re comfortable pruning up ladders
Don’t delay and wait until July to buy wisteria in Brisbane, order today.